As the final hours of my 29th year slip away, I think about the camping trip I attended this past weekend and a pivotal conversation around the campfire:
"Laura, what's your favorite polar animal?" Emily asked out of the blue.
"Uh..." I responded, having already imbibed too much that evening.
"For example, do you like penguins, or polar bears, or perhaps the wooly mammoth?" Emily asked.
"Ooh! Definitely the wooly mammoth. Those things were crazy cool."
Emily scrunched her face in disapproval. I searched my cloudy mind for the correct answer.
"Well, after the wooly mammoth, I would have to say the polar bear. I remember going to Como Zoo not too long ago and walking through all the sad, sad buildings with the sad, sad animals, but when I got to the polar bear, he seemed so happy. He just dove into the water over and over again and lounged on his fake rock, and he was content. That's pretty cool, I think."
Emily turned to me matter-of-factly and replied, "Laura, be that polar bear." Then we continued to stare into the fire. The following day we laughed at the silliness of it all, but then I got to thinking...
After being told a long time ago that I should start a blog on one of these blogger sites, I am finally doing it. I've often thought that my desire to blog was a self-indulgent one that I should suppress. I mean, everyone's a special snowflake and all, but I don't need to add to the cyber clutter that is blogging. I did the occasional MySpace blog to get my fix, and recently I quit cold turkey.
Then today I decided that I am going to follow Emily's advice and I'm going to make 30 the year that I become that polar bear, whatever that means. My first step is to start this blog for no other reason than the sheer enjoyment of blogging. My next step is to figure out how to be that damn polar bear. I'd love for you to join me on this fanciful journey...
More to come!
No comments:
Post a Comment